Tuesday, March 19, 2013

School Days!

I don't post about school that often, because I'm not that experienced.  We are only in our second year, and I feel there is so much more to learn.  This year we started a few "electives" in our classroom and the kids (and I) have been having so much fun with it. 



I have read some great things about SongSchool Spanish, so I decided to try it.  So far, I LOVE it!  It's very easy to follow (for me, the teacher).  It is by Classical Academic Press, which means, there is a lot of music and singing.  Our family loves music, so this was a great fit.  It comes with a CD and every couple of lessons there is a new song to learn, and workbook pages that go along with the lessons.  I have been teaching this to my K, 2nd, & 3rd grader.  My 6th grader sits in periodically and catches up rather quickly with the lessons.  I can't say enough good about this and how well it's working for us.

I also started the kids on Typing Instructor for Kids.  They are all addicted!  It's become a competition to them. (we don't do video games, so this is as close as it gets :) 


Marykate gets up right away in the morning and comes straight down, to get the computer first!  They are all doing really well, and it's a nice break from book work. 

For fun the kids have been doing some looming.  My kids love to finger knit, and I was so tired of finding finger knitted pieces of yarn all over the home, that weren't good for really anything.  Even my boys love to do this.  Then one day as I was browsing pinterest, I read about looming with finger knitting.  I had the kids gather up all their pieces from all over the home and we set out to make a small rug, decoration or piece of art. 


This is Max's, and it turned out pretty good.  I think he's going to enter it in the fair.  We used a hula hoop loom and followed the instructions in Family Fun's magazine. 

 
These are the two most recent.  One is finished and now hanging in the newly organized school room and the other is still being worked on.  The actual directions call for cut up pieces of t shirts, but we found finger knitting works great and is so soft. 
 
 
So those are just a few things that have kept us going during this long winter.  I'm looking forward to Spring and getting outside in (hopefully) a few short weeks!
 
♥  Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment