Monday, April 23, 2012

Homemade Granola Cereal

"This is the Day that the Lord has made.  I will rejoice and be glad in it!"
What a beautiful spring day it is in our neck of the woods.  The sun is shining and it is cool and crisp outside.  The kids raced outside after chores and breakfast.  They were anxious to try out the new climbing wall contraption my husband added to the swing set yesterday.  The house is quiet, except for the sound of clothes tumbling in the dryer.  The aroma of homemade granola is filling the air, as it bakes in the oven.  I'd say that's a pretty good start to my Monday. 

I found this recipe on Tammy's Recipes website a few years ago and have tweaked it a bit (not that it needed it).  We prefer the almonds and extra cinnamon flavor along with the flax seed. This is the kids favorite cereal.  With the price of food going up, I find myself making this more and more.  I buy all my food in bulk, so I usually have the ingredients on hand.  It's so good warm out of the oven and always a special treat.  In fact, I think this will be coming out of the oven right about lunch time!

Homemade Granola Cereal:

6 c rolled oats
1/2 c brown sugar
3/4 c wheat germ
1/2 c flax seed
1/2 c coconut
2 T cinnamon
1 c chopped almonds
1/2 c nonfat dry milk



Add all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl









2/3 c honey
2/3 c vegetable oil
2 T water
1 1/2 t vanilla







Combine honey, oil, water and vanilla.  Add to dry oats mixture and mix thoroughly.   Turn into two large shallow greased baking pans or cookie sheets.  Heat in 300 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until lightly toasted.  Stir twice during baking.  Let cool for 15 minutes and then stir again.  Store in tightly sealed container.  Add raisins before serving if desired.  Baking time may vary depending on your oven.


I usually double or triple this recipe whenever I get around to making it. This is such a delicious, nutritious cereal, filled with fiber and flavor.  It's definitely a family favorite!  The kids are making their way back inside now, so we better get started on school....

♥  Shannon




No comments:

Post a Comment