Thursday, May 3, 2012

My Inspiration

My Great Grandmother crocheted this beautiful table cloth.  I love all the details.  It must have taken her a while.  My grandmother remembers sitting beside her mother, helping, learning, watching...  I think these are the traditions that are lost today.  Beautiful creations, made with our hands.  It takes time, patience, hard work, diligence.  These are the qualities I am trying to instill into my children.  Now days we have to many distractions.  TV, Internet, video games, all taking the place of the lost arts, that once were so dominant in the home. 

So, we as a family are changing our ways....  My girls love to crochet, knit, loom, and have made some beautiful creations.  At Christmas time, we all made many homemade gifts for family and friends.  Why not take it a step further?  Why stop with Christmas? 

I have signed us up for the local farmers market.  Once a week, from May to October, we will be taking our creations to the local market.  We will also be making some of our special homemade recipes, such as granola, breads, and jams.  I am excited to start this adventure with the kids, and think it will be a great learning experience for us all.

American Girl size doll hats



As I look at my kitchen table, and see my great grandmothers beautiful work, I am inspired...  It is a great reminder of diligence, patience, and hard work, that we must not take for granted.  It is a great reminder of how hard our ancestors had to work every day.  May I pass this tradition on to my children, grandchildren and great grandchildren, the way my great grandparents did for me.

♥ Shannon 

2 comments:

  1. Shannon -- what a treasure your tablecloth is -- I do that kind of work and know the amount of work that goes into such a grand piece. Good for you for passing on your talents to your children.

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gail! My work is so simple compared to that, but i'm learning right along with my children.

      Delete