Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Grapevine

Just wanted to share a picture of my grapevine.  I planted this last summer after we moved in.  It is doing beautifully, this year.  I took this picture yesterday in the morning and was so excited with the progress.  Then last night, my daughter, the one who loves to garden with me, said she saw Japanese beetles all over my grapevine.  I was so disappointed.  They can just destroy a plant in a matter of days.  It will come back next year, but for the remaining of this year, if I don't get rid of them, it will no longer be a pretty sight.

I did some quick research, and ended up applying some food grade, diatomaceous earth, liberally all over the vine and soil below.  This is an all natural, safe for the environment, animals, and human,  approach.  Ideally, it's suppose to get rid of all bugs, so we will watch and see.  I think today I'm headed up to check on my apple and cherry trees, and may need to dust some on them as well.  I have a feeling, the beautiful, bug free, humid free, summer weather of June is about to end, and the bugs, weeds, and humidity are about to catch up to us.  July is looking to be a tough month for gardening, especially if we don't start getting some rain!

♥  Shannon

2 comments:

  1. Bummer! I hope you can put a stop to them beetles! We have yet to plant a small vineyard! I'm thinking it's going to be a project for next year! haha..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think the "natural" approach is going to keep them away, unfortunately, but we have slowed them down quite a bit. I'm not willing to try anything else at this time.

    ReplyDelete